Friday, February 19, 2010

Silkscreening attempt



I was trying to silk screen a new shirt but it didn't come out right! and before washing out the photo-emulsion and the ink I scanned the screen because it looked kind of cool. I know it's hard to see but the shirt was going to have the The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Katsushika Hokusai and on it was going to say surf and have a sunset etc ... silly idea now that i think about it :)
Now it's too late almost midnight and I don't have the energy to make something else . When you are silk screening t-shirts sometimes you win sometimes you don't.

3 comments:

  1. your right the screen does look ace!
    I would love to try some silk screening but its so expensive to get set up if you have nothing! good luck with the next one x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny
    I used to think the same but I started to gather materials little by little every time I got some cash and next thing I knew I was ready to do my first silk screening. Once you have all the tools you can reuse the screen over and over again, the most expensive things are the blow-dryer to cure the ink but that’s like $15 or $19 at the most and the screen that one is about $17 bucks but you can experiment and make your own using a embroidery hoop like the one they used on this video: http://www.ehow.com/video_4404380_overview-silkscreening-tshirts.html I tried that my self but I still can’t find a fabric that works for me, they are always too lose and the ink goes all over the place so now I just invested on two screens that I reuse.
    I recommend you get a “work light” to cure the photo emulsion in like 5min! and you can find them at lowes or homedepot for like $9 bucks. http://www.amazon.com/Designers-Edge-L-18-One-Light-500-Watt/dp/B00076Q0JC

    Good luck with yours if you decide to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks a lot for the ace tips! I shall take a look at the ehow link! xxx

    ReplyDelete